Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The House

The wait is finally over... Almost!



City is getting ready to welcome the year of Monkey Chinese New year's celebration, I am joining in by sharing this good news. 

We found a house and made an offer. After a bit of negotiations, (we lost) we settled on signing a contract.

In October when I wrote about moving, I was ready to live in a smaller space, spend more time creating and less cleaning but I wasn't ready to give up on so many other things.. Green was a required color. I like line and textures but power lines looming over the house or in the backyard were not part of it. Older homes are good to look at in magazines and in the home improvement show based in Waco, TX but I have a real life.

In Berkeley, we looked at some homes with kitchens with original appliances from the 60's.. I wasn't willing to fix everything around the stove and the oven. Then there was a tree-house style home, with absolutely no counter-space next to the stove. I love cooking too much to have a free-standing stove. That kitchen was just not going to work.

In Walnut Creek, we saw a beautiful Mid Century Modern, Eichler home.. It still makes me sad, someone called it before we did.

In south of San Francisco towns we looked at homes built in 50's and 60's.. Row houses going up and down the hills. Most of them were with the views of rooftops and power lines. With concrete in the back yard and views of the rooftops of shopping malls.

Too dark, too old, too narrow, too tall. too boxy, too crowded, too small, too large... the list went on. 
we even saw few homes outside our budget.. Even they had few things wrong!

I wanted to move into a space that was lived in, Not brand new (that meant small yards) not overly staged, not overly remodeled.. After a while they all looked the same. I like gray but please don't let me be stuck with the back splash and bathrooms, all grey for rest of my life! A house not too modern and not too traditional.. Something with an indoor-outdoor space feeling.. After all, this is California.. It's not too much to ask, is it?  

We finally found that house! A single level, small ranch-style home. I walked in and thought, this is it! There was something about the house that was welcoming. Calm back yard, bright indoor space. Laundry in the house not in the garage, or in a narrow 'mud room' with doors opening into each other. With a little garden in the back and lots of trees to tie the clothesline for the quilts.  

It has the tiniest room as the third bedroom, which will be my sewing room. I will have a sewing room on the same level as the rest of the house!

We are in contract.
 
Last week, I went to oversee the inspection of the house. While inspectors were working and making notes, I went to the backyard and stood under the pepper-berry tree. 

I could hear the birds.

I looked up to see who was calling me.




I saw nothing. 

I looked again.


   
That hummer perched at the top of the tree was singing, "Home Sweet Home".



This house is minutes drive from the hospitals where my daughter and younger son were born. It's 15 minutes drive from our very first family home. 

This is the town I took my first quilting class to learn quilting and made that first quilt.

Talk about a full circle! In my case, a triangle! 

We have finally found a house. It's not perfect but we will make it into our home and it will be, a home!

Afterthought - I must add, the house is supposed to close during my visit to India. Keeping my fingers crossed for everything to go smooth. Hoping when I return, it will be to the house and not the apartment.




18 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am glad you held fast even though you did not get all you wanted. You must be so excited to make it yours! Hope the wait is not too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very happy for you! Blessings to you in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! I'm so happy for you. It sounds like the most perfect place. Love at first sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous!!! And discovering the bird in the tree was beyond perfect . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It's a great feeling when we finally find a place to call home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am looking forward to making it my own.

      Delete
  6. If crossing my fingers will help, I will cross my fingers -- all of them! I hope you have found your home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news from you and I too shall keep fingers crossed for plain sailing! Enjoy your time in India, send us some photographs please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes for a lovely trip to India and a smooth return to a new-to-you home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers and toes crossed for everything to go smoothly. Your new home sounds lovely, I'm sure you will enjoy making it into your very own home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely.....I hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations!! great bird sighting too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray Sujata! Wishing you many happy times in you new home! The little hummingbird is very symbolic and a beautiful welcome. Have a lovely trip to India and set all your worries aside so you can fully enjoy seeing your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you!! And you'll come back from India with all the energy to make the final effort into your new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I'm sure that you write this with enormous relief and happiness. That little bird is a very sweet welcoming committee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations, Sujata and Nilesh! your new home was waiting for you to find it, and the hummer was there to welcome you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keeping fingers crossed as we are shortly following the path of new discoveries in real estate. All the best Sujata!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So exciting...a new transition...wonderful

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...